Friday, May 27, 2011

Pickled Onions in Basic Brine


Whoa, I'm waaaay behind on my blog posts now, so I'm going to blast through these next couple recipes in order to tell you all about something really exciting in my little world of canning..

This brine recipe is great for pickling any fruit or vegetable. This time I filled my jars with red and Vidalia onion and fresh sliced garlic, then processed for ten minutes.

Basic Brine:
4 cups water
4 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup canning salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 piece cinnamon bark
1 Tbsp black peppercorns
1 Tbsp mustard seeds
2 cracked juniper berries
1 clove
1 bay leaf

Bring to a boil, cover and let simmer on low until you are ready to fill your jars.

*Some recipes add allspice, dill or coriander. I've also substituted brown sugar for the granulated when I wanted a more caramel note in the flavor. You can play around with different combinations until you have something that suits your palate. Have fun!

1 comment:

  1. When you say "process", do you mean in the pressure canner, or in hot water bath canner?

    ReplyDelete